Review: Death of an Empire MK Hume

 



I feel as though the parts of the first book that hooked me weren’t present in this book. I didn’t find myself sympathising with Myrddion the way I did, and I also found myself having to remind myself that this is meant to be a version of Merlin’s life. I couldn’t align the character I’ve come to know in other literature with the character that was being presented here.

However, there was definitely a richness to the history being told in this story. Naturally with Myrddion and his band travelling around there were many interesting aspects of the healing, fighting, different cultures that kept the story moving and kept it interesting. I especially liked that this was a part of Rome’s history I haven’t come across before in fiction.

Ultimately, I felt as though I was a little disappointed by this book, but I am keen to read the third in the series and see if when they travel back to Britain it revives the story and delivers on the promise that the first book showed. It has so much potential.

Comments